Monday, November 26, 2012

Lincoln - The Aftermath


We went and saw Lincoln, the movie, yesterday afternoon (Many thanks to the Vaughn family for hosting E while we were at the show). I'd heard mixed comments on the movie. Mostly everyone said it was fantastic and pretty historically accurate.

However, most of my friends had not seen the movie, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I loved it. The lighting was spectacular and Spielberg's use of windows, mirrors, and shrouded images were epic throughout. I reminded me of Jacques Lacan's idea of the "Mirror Stage," where we see images of ourselves outside of our inner beings in a mirror. I felt like this idea connected to Lincoln because of how we view history, presidents, and truth in history. In reality, we only see a reflection of the actual Lincoln, the actual president, in history books, in movies, and in stories. The same as a mirror. When we see ourselves in the mirror, we only see a picture, an inverted one at that, of what and who we really are. Ok, enough philosophy. I liked the mirrors. The end.

Lincoln
Tyler
Lincoln and Tyler. Can you tell the difference? Tait, Leigh, and I thought Tyler's mane was starting to resemble Honest Abe's because he hasn't gotten a haircut in such a while. This will soon be remedied, though I may have my very own Abraham Lincoln when we're 75. 

I think the most frightening thing about the Lincoln movie was the aftermath. In typical Tyler fashion, he's suddenly hooked and he can't stop starin', but in a completely different way. It's like his Mt. Everest expedition he took earlier this year. He didn't climb the mountain (he's never really climbed a big mountain), but he adventured through all things Everest —books, movies, documentaries, articles, memoirs, novels — you name it, he probably looked it up or read about it. 

Now, instead of an Everest kick, he's on a Abraham Lincoln kick. I do believe he's watched interviews about the making of the film, the historical accuracy of the film, and even started a book analyzing his presidency, including secondary and primary sources. I think we're going to have many nights that look like this:

Tyler and his Computer
The non-frightening thing about the aftermath of Lincoln? Tyler is actually reading. When he's interested in something, he will read for hours and hours about a topic. Hope for the future! If you haven't seen Lincoln, it's worth the money (says the woman who attended a matinee at Cinebarre and rarely sees movies in the theater). 


No comments:

Post a Comment