Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Let's Be Honest - Election Day Blues

Image from extratv.com
I'm not an overly political person. I will always take advantage of my right to vote every 2-4 years. However, you will rarely, if ever, see me start a conversation or maybe even participate in a conversation about politics.

I don't do this because I'm uneducated on politics and think they're stupid. Well, I am pretty uneducated on them, but out of choice rather than out of ignorance. I don't participate because it's not worth my time nor does it accomplish anything except to encourage spite and enmity between individuals.

I don't keep up with politics for the same reason I don't keep up with news channels. I believe most politicians and news stations are pretty much controlled by money and powerful people and companies. I don't believe true and honest change is going to come from largely elected people. I'm a fan of change happening through local elections and through local mercy and service organizations and ministries more so than by macro-politics (I do realize the government makes rules and regulations that may change the way our country is run and even influence the way I live my life. However, these changes will not alter my identity or what I believe.).

By the time people are so well known that they've reached amazing political greatness, and I do mean the kind that culminates in tons of hype and smoke and mirrors, people have basically sold their souls to others who donate money to them, who give them references, and to their political party for supporting them. I don't care which political party you support, this is most likely the case. Then, they must win the hearts of those people with their decisions in order to keep the money and support coming. It's a vicious cycle.

Part of me really pities politicians. They are stuck in a web of trying to keep everyone happy while at the same time trying to make solid decisions for our country. And let's be honest, who is truly qualified to make decisions for all Americans? Who isn't swayed by what people around them are pressuring for or who donate the largest checks, especially if those checks put someone in power? However, these politicians dedicated their lives to trying to this job, so they have brought their anxiety and distress on themselves and their families. I do not envy them.

The other part of me, the part that does not pity politicians, is thankful that at the end of the day, my hope or despair does not come from the outcome of the election today. I will not shake with fear or triumph with a victory dance either way. It's not that I'm apathetic. I'm just not 100% in support of either candidate. However, I am completely confident that neither candidate for president will solve American's problems in the next four years. It's a physical impossibility. Have you noticed how much gray hair they already get just trying to solve one or two problems?

I also believe the general public wastes so much of its time talking about change, hoping for change, and arguing for what needs to be changed in order for our society to be a success, that people miss out on all the opportunities to create and encourage change in their own little world. If people really want to see change, they need to stop arguing about politics and love their neighbor. They need to comfort the people who are fearful and hopeless in their communities. People need to grieve with others at their loss, celebrate with others at success, feed others when they cannot feed themselves, and love those who seem impossible to love. This is change - unconditional love in a world governed by conditions, stipulations, and rules. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. He is Love. He loves the unlovable. He desires real change in people and works to see that happen.

Today I'll go and vote for state officials. I may even vote for president. But I am confident that no matter what the election brings, the world will not end nor suddenly be saved from its problems or potential problems. Wars will continue to be fought, poverty will continue to cry in hunger, and success will continue to flourish.  The 99% will continue to be the 99% (Only 1% of the population will ever be the richest 1% of the population - It's a mathematical law.). There is nothing we can do individually to stop this. But we can create change around us. We can love others, rehabilitate others, and work to see lives changed if we just step off our soap box and out into our community. Our neighbors are waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment