Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Week Without Sweets

Yum.
It has been over a week since I've had dessert, and I'm itching for some. I've been doing a fast from sweets until Thanksgiving Day, but I definitely will enjoy a piece of pumpkin pie on the best day for pumpkin pies of the year. However, since last Sunday, Nov. 11, I have not indulged, even when my husband brought home Swiss Cake Rolls.

When I walked in to see those Cake Rolls on the counter, I was instantly offended. How could he possibly bring home something sweet when he knows I'm fasting from them? Of course, I then realized it's not really a fast when there are no opportunities to say no. It's just going without. A real fast is when the yummy thing you so desire is right in front of you and you still say no. Obviously, I didn't go to Amelie's or Menchie's this past week. It would have been too tempting (flee from temptation, right?), but I did resist Swiss Cake Rolls, Eggnog Cake (it looked amazing, Katy), Ethan's Halloween Candy bucket, and a sweet Reindeer Cookie a little boy I sometimes watch made and offered me today. I felt so bad telling him no but wanted to stick to my guns. I've only got 36 hours left.

This sounds quite silly in the giant spectrum of life, but I love sweets. I could give up salty foods and eat sweets all day long. It's definitely been a week of reminding myself of truth, namely that sweets do not provide lasting comfort to my soul, but only give a momentary glimpse of deliciousness and then land on my thighs.

Look for a piece of something sweet and delicious on my blog either for breakfast or lunch time on Thursday. I cannot wait to see what it will be. But for now, I will dwell on these words from The Valley of Vision:

"Thou hast shown me that
the sensible effusion of divine love in the soul
are superior to and distinct from bodily health,
and that oft-times spiritual comforts are at their highest
when physical well-being is at its lowest." (157)

No comments:

Post a Comment