Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Family Heirloom Macaroni and Cheese


As silly as it sounds, this macaroni and cheese is kind of a family heirloom in the Turner clan. My Dad's mom made it and then taught my mother to make it after my parents got married. I love it. Seriously. The day after Thanksgiving, we had pizza for dinner. I only had one slice so I could have some macaroni and cheese on the side. My dad makes fun of how much I love it.

Turner Macaroni and Cheese

- 1 box large elbow macaroni (yes, size does matter)
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (buying the block and grating it yourself tastes better)
- Milk
- 1 egg
- Salt and Pepper 

1. Boil the box of macaroni in salted water until they are al dente. 
2. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. 
3. Create layers of noodles and cheese (3 layers of noodles, 3 of cheese). 
4. Make sure the top layer of cheese completely covers the noodles.
5. Mix the egg, salt, pepper, and one cup of milk, then pour over the macaroni and cheese.
6. Pour more milk into the casserole dish until you can see milk when you move aside the cheese on top with a spoon.
7. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the cheese browns and the noodles are not sitting in milk.
8. Let cool and serve*.

*You can serve the mac and cheese immediately. However, I prefer 1-day-old mac and cheese. This year my mom made it on Wednesday, and it was perfect reheated on Thursday. I think the extra 24 hours gives all of the ingredients time to mix and mingle and taste amazing.






No comments:

Post a Comment