Monday, September 17, 2012

What has Starbucks done to us?


Oh baby. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back. And the Salted Caramel Mocha, and pretty soon I'm going to see Gingerbread, Peppermint, Egg Nog, etc.  'Tis the season...for Starbucks.

Many of you have already had at least one fall drink (and I don't mean Pumpkin Ale). I'll admit it. I've had one Pumpkin Spice Latte. I wanted to get a Venti, but I resisted on account of no one needs that much milk in their stomach at once.

If I didn't feel like a sell-out, I would pin this Starbucks ad on my "Fall" board on my Pinterest. However, I'm much more inclined to post DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte recipes and pictures of fun fall clothing rather than this Starbucks pic. But the truth is, when I think of fall, I think of Starbucks.

They have successfully crept into my brain, unbeknownst to me, and planted their seeds of Starbucks necessity. They've sprouted, grown, and blossomed. Now I, among many Americans, associate the words fall, cool weather, and leaves changing with the amazing drinks I can consume at Starbucks.

While I typically may hate "the man," I have to hand it to Starbucks. No one does it quite like they do. Not that their quality is better than another coffee shop. It absolutely is nothing compared to places like this, this, or this (Shameless plugs for some of my favorite coffee places in areas I've lived).

However, Starbucks knows how to sell coffee. I'm not going to protest or scream and rant about how people shouldn't support them. I'm thankfully past that stage of life these days, though I will continue to support my favorite places. But dang it, Starbucks. You sure do create a great advertising campaign.


1 comment:

  1. I have been sucked in too! You've got to hand it to them... they know how to sell it. Pumpkin spice lattes are sooo good. I'll admit that I haven't tried the salted caramel mocha because I am afraid to fall in love with it! :)

    ReplyDelete