Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

One of the new things in my life is a good breakfast. I'm not a breakfast eater. I'd rather just fast breakfast, have a cup of coffee, and eat an early lunch. However, when trying to run six miles in the morning before lunch, breakfast is essential and coffee is bad news.

When my German friend was visiting, (see our fun times here) she introduced me to her typical breakfast. It's a greek yogurt or plain yogurt base with lots of additions, including oats, nuts, and fruits. I was really excited to try something new, though the thought of adding grapes to greek yogurt freaked me out a bit. However it proved to be one of the best, most filling breakfasts I've had in a while. And it's healthy and energy building for training.
Mixed Up Goodness

What you need:
- 1 cup greek yogurt (whatever flavor you like - I usually get vanilla)
- 1 handful of rolled oats
- Sliced fruit (I have tried apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries, blueberries so far)
- A handful of nuts or nut/seed trail mix
- flax seed, cinnamon, raisins or dried fruit, chia seed, peanut butter (optional)

What I love about this recipe is that I can add whatever I feel like eating or whatever we have in the pantry that morning. It's still going to taste great. I've added cinnamon a few times when I had plain yogurt and this morning I added a small spoonful of peanut butter. It was pretty delicious...inspired me to write this post at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment