Monday, September 10, 2012

An Afternoon Interaction

Let's Pretend.
It's 3:30. I'm standing outside on our front stoop feeling the wind against my skin, noticing the tinkle of wind chimes down the street, and enjoying the sun on my toes. I'm waiting for the bus.

E's bus pulls up at 3:32 (finally on time!!!). I smile and head down the steps. I'm still a ways off when the door opens and his two friends come down the steps. Then E starts down the steps, but instead of walking down, he's taking the steps two at a time, jumping. He looks both ways and then hops out of the bus.

Immediately, E drops down to the ground. He glances in all directions and does a karate chop. Then, with great stealth, he runs across the street with his arms poised for action. He runs up to the giant oak by our house, kicks off of it and yells, "Yahh!"

By this point, I realize E is not merely a kid getting off the bus after school. As he runs by me towards the house, I hear him say in a raspy voice, "May the force be with you."

I guess that solves it. Today, E is a Jedi Knight. Before he slips into the house only to become a boy again, I answer, "And also with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment