Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Power of the Pumpkin

Just a few pumpkins. (Image from http://www.aftonapple.com/pumpkins.htm)
Is it just me, or is the pumpkin spice flavor taking over the world this fall?

Everywhere I look, at every grocery store I shop, and every blog I read, pumpkin is taking over. I love pumpkin, so I'm obviously taking advantage of it's presence.  But I also wonder if every company has seen what Starbucks has done with pumpkin and are now following down the same path. Or has it been like this every year, and I'm just now catching on?

Seriously, I've found pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin pie Pop Tarts, pumpkin chocolate bark, pumpkin muffins, breads, and pancakes, pumpkin bagels, pumpkin streusel, pumpkin cream cheese, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin hot tea, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin pizza dough...Ok. I actually did not find pumpkin pizza dough, but it should definitely be up for consideration, especially with some goat cheese, spinach, and sliced tomato on top with a butter sauce. Mmmm. I may have to make that now that I'm thinking about it. I've seen pumpkin so many times the word is looking like I'm spelling it wrong. It's one of those words that if you stare at it enough or for long enough, you could double guess yourself on how it's really spelled.

I don't mind this pumpkin kick, though I need to ask if my whole family is in consensus with this or if it's just me. However, I have noticed that I fall prey to the whole scheme. I buy a few "extra" things at the grocery store simply because they are pumpkin, and these are things that we don't necessarily need. Therefore, it makes it much harder to stay within our budget for groceries during these fall months. All the pumpkin delights are never necessities, but the so-called Seasonal Specials or one place even called them Harvest Specials. It made me feel as though I was a farmer reaping all the benefits of my hard work. This may be an exaggeration, but I definitely felt like I was getting a deal, something special, something my family needed to enjoy fall in style.

I love pumpkin, but my wallet does not. It's time to work on self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment