Monday, October 22, 2012

Geeking Out For A Moment

Rivendell

I want to move to Middle Earth. I want to see the sights as they appear in Tolkien's books and Peter Jackson's movies. I know, I know. I could just visit New Zealand. However, I want the real Middle Earth experience. I'd like to live in the real imaginative world Tolkien created, at least for a little while.

Middle Earth Map
I know this sounds absolutely nerdy. That is fine with me. We've just been Middle Earthing it at our house recently. Tyler is reading The Hobbit in preparation for the movie release. This may be one of the first times he's read a book before seeing a movie!! I am so excited. So, needless to say, he keeps thinking about Tolkien's world, especially in relation to the maps, locations, etc. of things. Also, our church is currently doing a Sunday school class about Tolkien and C.S. Lewis - focusing on Biblical Imagery in The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. So, another Middle Earth influence is coming in there. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to the class but once because I'm helping with the itty-bittys in the nursery.

Not to mention, Tyler and I decided to watch The Two Towers this past weekend. Since he owns the extended versions, we had no choice but to watch four hours of Middle Earth goodness. We had to break it up into two watching periods, because we are getting old and cannot stay up late anymore. This is sad but true.

I just get lost in the simplicity of the people. I love their lives and their pride in their culture. Granted, life was hard during the war against Sauron, but overall, they lived in a beautiful place, worked the ground, and enjoyed the simple act of living.

If we were to analyze the characters in Middle Earth, there is no doubt humans would be hobbits. We definitely like to convince ourselves we'd be in the legion of men, the fighters of Gondor, or like Eowyn of Rohan. However, we are more like the hobbits with our desires for nice food, clothing, drinks, and pipe tobacco. Ok, maybe some of us don't care about pipe tobacco. But we do have something that we just can't "live without," and it's usually something like boots or chocolate or our laptop. We're hobbits for sure.

Bag End





No comments:

Post a Comment