Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Longest Run

From DurhamRadioNews.com
I did my longest run today. Previous to my 8-mile excursion today, I'd only done 6.5, maybe 7. But today, I took it the extra step, and I loved it.

With my half-marathon looming at the end of the month, I have to get my milage up. Since Thursday is my day off from teaching, it was a perfect time for a long run. Also, it's been nastily humid this week, and while today was no exception from the humidity, the heat wasn't nearly as excruciating as the past few days.

I'll be honest. I was nervous. I would nervous I would fail, and then that would probably mean failure for the half-marathon. But I didn't.

I made it. I ran the whole eight miles. I even took a teeny bottle of water to rehydrate around mile five. While I hate carrying things when running, the water was essential and worth dropping the bottle a few times and having to stop to pick it up.

Right at the end I faced a moment that could have changed the course of my run. I had to stop for a light to change, so I wouldn't get hit by a car (important but frustrating). I paused my stopwatch. I've just recently started keeping my time, and it definitely motivates me to keep going and push through to the end of my run. But when the light changed, I accidentally hit reset instead of un-pausing my stopwatch.

My time was gone. Of course I didn't realize it until a couple of minutes later, preventing me from being able to add my old and new time together. I was so angry to have run so far and not be able to calculate my time/mile. I almost stopped. I was that frustrated. But I was only a mile away from being through. I couldn't stop then. It would ruin my run and probably my day, unfortunately.

So I kept going, and I can say it was worth it. I felt great when I finished. I was so excited, I emailed my mother. She's not into running, but was super proud of my accomplishment. So I don't have my time (Based on what I had before and what time I finished, I'm guessing my mile was more than 9 minutes flat but less than 10 minutes flat. This is good for now). However, I am ok with not having my time. I accomplished a goal, which was more important.

10 miles next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment