Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Let's Be Honest - Sibling Fights

Tyler and I have sibling fights. No, we do not live in West Virginia, and we weren't related previous to our marriage.

Tyler is an older brother, and I am a younger sister. So our less than necessary bickering always tends to remind me of an argument I would see between older and younger siblings. Let me give you an example.

Scene 1: Tyler and Melissa open up a brand new puzzle Melissa has brought home from the store. They decide it's a wonderful thing to do one Friday night after Ethan has gone to bed. Immediately, they start sorting pieces, making a pile of the edges and a pile of the insides pieces. They quickly realize they don't have enough space on their coffee table for all of the pieces.

Tyler: Melissa, make sure you're sorting the pieces first. We have to do that before we can start.

Melissa: I'm just going to stack up the inside pieces since we'll be putting the frame together first.

Tyler: I think that's a really bad idea. That's not the proper way to lay everything out. See, watch.

Melissa: We don't have enough room. We have to do something or the pieces will be on the floor.

Tyler: Every time I've ever done a puzzle, I never stacked pieces.

Melissa: (Rolls eyes. Remains silent) 

Scene 2: The couple has made it halfway through putting together the puzzle pieces. They have gotten through the frame and are working on putting together pieces inside.

Melissa: I can't seem to find these gold pieces that make up the roof.

Tyler: (picks up three pieces) Here, I think these will work.

Melissa: Thanks!

Tyler: (Continues watching Melissa) I think that one will fit if you just move it up one.

Melissa: Hey, hey! I can do it myself.

Tyler: I was just trying to help.

Melissa: I don't need help. I can do this.

A few minutes later, they take a break from the puzzle. Tyler and Melissa relax on the couch.

Tyler: Sometimes I just like to sit back and look at my progress.

Melissa: Vain.

Tyler: No, I just like to enjoy the work I've accomplished.

Scene 3: Tyler and Melissa only have five minutes left to go in their puzzle challenge. They have worked through the most difficult parts and are finishing up. Melissa feels as though Tyler has done most of the work and hopes he doesn't rub it in her face. Tyler just wants to finish the goal.

Tyler and Melissa: (Silently, furiously working to get pieces into the puzzle)

Tyler: I feel like we're just shoving the pieces in here so we can get it done.

Melissa: Yeah. We kind of are.

Melissa reaches for another piece just as Tyler realizes there are only five pieces left.

Tyler: Stop! (He hastily grabs up all the pieces left to put in the puzzle, leaving Melissa with only the piece in her hand.)

Melissa realizes what Tyler's intentions are with the last few pieces.

Melissa: (Throws her puzzle piece on the floor) Fine. You do it.

Melissa storms into the kitchen, leaving Tyler alone with the puzzle. Melissa realizes she's acted like a child. After all, there is no mother to go tattling to, but merely a pile of dirty dishes in the sink, waiting to be cleaned.

You get the idea. Of course, this isn't the end of the story, but it contains the key elements.
Tyler likes to be in control, make the rules, and run the show.
Melissa likes to be the star and turns into a diva at the end if she isn't given "fair" treatment.

The good thing — I got a lot of dishes cleaned.
The ironic thing — I'm actually older than Tyler, so if we were related, the situation would be the other way around.  However, since he's got a younger brother, and I have an older sister, we are what we are.
Another good thing — Tyler and I realize we fight like siblings sometimes, so hopefully it won't happen too often.

It's all for our sanctification. That's what I keep telling myself.







1 comment: