Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I Ran a Half-Marathon!!

The wait is over.
I was supposed to smile. I forgot.
I ran a half-marathon with a time of 2:15:45. As it was my first half, I was ok with just finishing.

The morning was perfect for running. I couldn't have asked for better weather. It was overcast and in the low to mid-sixties while we were running. As glorious as sunshine is on a regular day, it would have been much more difficult if the temperature had been up several degrees.

Tyler and West didn't run, but met Faith, Anna Gail, and myself at the 4 mile mark, the 9ish mile mark, and the finish line in Fluor Field. They flashed their cameras and took quite a few pictures.

Anna Jamming to Her Tunes
Faith - More than Halfway
I loved the adrenaline at the starting line and the sheer number of people ready to run. I even saw my sister's college roommate in the line up. I know several people who were there but never saw because that stadium was packed out.

The best part of the race was the last mile or so. As we came back into the city, there were more and more people watching and cheering. I felt so encouraged by people who I did not know. They kept yelling for all of the runners. I even had one man tell me I looked great and to keep going. I'm sure I looked as though I was about to die, and he felt obligated to keep me alive at least long enough for me to make it around the next turn. But, it was still encouraging to hear.
Last Moments of the Race
After we circled around the stadium at the end, the runners ran onto Flour Field, around the edge and across the finish line near home base. As we ran into the stadium, a man called our names over the loud speaker. It was as if I was in the Olympics or something (this is definitely the closest feeling I will ever have to being in the Olympics). I could hear the crowd, my name over the speaker, and I was instantly covered in goosebumps, sprinting with renewed energy towards the finish line. Any pain I felt was suddenly gone from my body. It was a great moment in life and really truly reminded me of Hebrews 12:1-2, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who fo rhte joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." I felt as though I was completing that race, not that I was going to die, but that I was finishing something so hard and anticipated. I cannot imagine the immense joy I will feel on that final day.

Tyler captured some great images of people running and even the marathon winner crossing the finish line, acting like it was nobody's business. We saw him afterwards while he was loading up on fruits and carbs. I can't comprehend the energy he burned.
Michael Dwomoh - 2012 Spinx Marathon Winner
Runners
On the walk back to Faith and West's (they live so close to town we could just hop on the Swamp-Rabbit Trail and walk to their house in a jiffy), we found a perfect fall tree and celebrated our victory with a leaf dance and photo session.

Love These Girls 

Tyler and West Do a Leaf Dance
While it ultimately may be too ambitious, I'd like to make the half-marathon a yearly goal.

We did it.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa - I came across this post and the picture of me crossing the finish line! It is a nice picture too. Any chance Tyler would be willing to share any more photos of me?
    Much appreciated.

    MD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the run! Tyler would absolutely love to share some more photos with you. He was really excited to get such a good photo of the finish line. Feel free to email him at tyler.lacross@gmail.com, and he will send you a link to download some pictures from dropbox. I'm glad you found my post.

      Delete
  2. Melissa - many thanks, it was a personal best run after a summer of intense training.

    I have also reached out to Tyler.

    Happy trails.
    MD.

    ReplyDelete