Thursday, August 16, 2012

What to Do With Figs

Layering the Sandwich
Recently I went to the farmer's market and bought produce I've never used. One of my buys was a little pint of figs. Tyler's response was, "What are those?" I was vindicated in my purchase. I decided it was time to try something new. I found a great recipe from Martha Stewart for Fresh-Fig Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Of course, I altered it a bit, and Tyler loved his first fig experience. Here is my version:

Ingredients:
1 loaf ciabatta bread
Trader Joe's Fig Butter
1/2 pound Fontina Cheese, sliced
1/4 cup Goat Cheese
Sliced Uncured Black Forest Ham
5 Fresh figs, washed and sliced
Rosemary
Olive Oil

Directions:
1. Heat a griddle to 350 or heat up a large pan on medium heat.
2. Trim ciabatta loaf (snack on the ends) and slice it horizontally. To make things easier, I also cut it in half.
3. Spread fig butter on all sides of the ciabatta and sprinkle with goat cheese. 
4. Layer fontina cheese, ham(optional), and figs on top.
5. Season with rosemary.
6. Top the sandwich and brush olive oil on the griddle, place the sandwich on, and brush the top with olive oil.
7. Cook about 5-7 minutes on each side until cheese starts melting.
8. Plate it up. I cut the loaf into four sandwiches.

Cooking on the Griddle
A plate of yummy food






No comments:

Post a Comment