Saturday, August 25, 2012

An Awful Day with a Relaxing Finish

Friday is supposed to be the best day of the week, hands down. But each moment of the day yesterday did not comply with this standard.

It really started with my laziness on Thursday. It was Ethan's birthday so I shouldn't have to do any work, right? Well no, obviously. He was still on summer break but I took a momentary break from school as well. No harm done until the moment in the day when I realized I still had no one to watch him while I taught the next day. Panic Mode. I was very grateful to our friend, Jeremy, who stepped up and volunteered to have Ethan hang out with him for the morning. And Tyler lovingly took Ethan to work with him for a 2nd time this week.

So the morning wasn't too bad. I managed to get lunches made, packed, and Ethan dropped off in time to make it to class. However, I realized that in all my birthday celebration and cake making, I had forgotten to respond to my students' emails about rough drafts of their papers. So I did what I had to do:  admit I was wrong to my college freshmen, apologize, and promise to get to their emails on Saturday(sigh).

But things weren't over at CP: I didn't have enough planned for the class period. Those guys worked through my 2.5 hours of work in 1.5 hours. Another failed attempt on my part.

Yesterday was also the first day I taught at Greyfriar's Classical Academy. I was really excited/nervous and got there on time only to realize I had forgotten to print my syllabus and schedule for the students. Failed again. Thankfully, Mr. McGowan, my amazing boss and the Headmaster, printed them for me during class and dropped them off before we finished our intro class. I like my 10th graders. They're lively and funny. I have 9 boys and 2 girls. Let me repeat, 9 BOYS and 2 girls.

I walked out of class to realize I had locked the keys in my car [Insert scream].

Thankfully, a lovely friend, Chris Vaughn, called AAA for me and sat with me while we waited. I even got a Snickers and bottle of water. It makes me so sick how quickly the AAA people can break into the car - less than a minute - and all of the time I spent waiting. But Chris and I had good conversation. It was an encouraging moment in the midst of a hectic beast of a day.

I took Ethan to Columbia to meet his dad after all the craziness. We left late, of course, after the keys-in-car incident, and there was an accident on I-77. Traffic was not merciful, but I finally made it back home by 8 p.m.

Tyler, showing his sympathy and mercy towards his beaten-down wife, bought me a bottle of this wine from Trader Joe's. It was nice to relax, take a walk, have a glass of wine, and watch Tyler and his brother grill dinner for me at the end of the day.

I finally got my school work done today. The weekend will be a welcome rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment