Friday, August 31, 2012

The Football Creed


Who doesn't love mud, sweat, grunts, and grass? Ladies and gentlemen, it's football season.

However, I often question if we're really "ladies" and "gentlemen" about the whole situation.

If every football fan adopted these simple rules, August - January would be the most fun months of the year.

Some may think I'm not a real football fan. I'm ok with that. Let's just be real. Don't hate. Follow these rules:


1. I will not call watching a football game on my couch "cardiovascular exercise." I will not say wings, mexican dip, and celery doused in ranch dressing fit my diet.

2. I will not merely live for game days but enjoy and make the most of every other day of the week.

3. I will not neglect my spouse. I will not neglect my children. I will act like an adult, practice self control, and set a good example of sportsmanship

4. I will not trash talk another team and conveniently forget the blunders of my own favorite team.

5. I will not think yelling suggestions at the TV does anything to help my favorite team win. I will not believe they lose only because they did not listen to my advice.

6. I recognize there is more to live for than football, and I will not let my team's losses make me moody, irritable, or fill me with teen angst for the rest of the of the week.

7. I will not wish physical harm or celebrate an injury on the other team. I will remember the players are real and feel pain just as much as I do.

8. I will work when at the office. I will not merely read stats, predictions, and team news while posting my own expert critiques on Facebook and Twitter.

9. I promise to remember I am not actually on the football team. They are not "my boys." I will not pretend to endure the training or practice those boys experience each week.

10. I realize salvation has nothing to do with the team someone cheers for and will not treat others as if it does.

Now that we're all on the same page, let's scream, cheer, yell. Let's paint our faces and wear our favorite school colors. Let's tailgate and meet new people. Let's build community and positive team spirit.

Let's enjoy some football.

1 comment: