Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Scallop Squash

The squash
Until recently, I didn't even know a scallop squash existed. This was another of my farmer's market mystery vegetable buys. Once again, Tyler wasn't sure exactly what it was. But I searched online and found this website, here, with recipes for scallop squash. However, most of them had meat as an ingredient. This doesn't fly in our family, so I made up my own recipe. I found the squash were easy to work with and Tyler and I both loved the end result, especially the filling.

Cut and Cleaned Out



Prep the Squash
- Cut off the tops - horizontally
- Scoop out the insides and seeds
(these can be thrown away, composted, or cooked into spaghetti sauce or some other food)



The Filling




 Make the Stuffing 
 - Sautee 1/2 c. chopped onion in EVOO over medium heat
 - When onion is translucent, add 2 c. chopped fresh spinach until wilted
 - Season with Salt and Pepper
 - Take off heat
 - Add 1/4 c. goat cheese
 - Add 1 tbsp. raw sliced almonds
 - Mix together

 - Preheat the oven to 350
 - Stuff the squash with the spinach filling
 - Cook covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes
 - Take off the foil, and cook for 15 minutes

Finished Product - Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Squash





1 comment: