Tuesday, January 1, 2013

All Things New

Happy 2013!
I was watching some of the old videos Tyler made the other day, when I came across a wedding video he did for some friends last year. I usually don't tear up at weddings. I'm not one to cry, but for some reason I always get a little misty when I watch this video. I think it's because of something the pastor says in the midst of the wedding ceremony (about the time they kiss in the video).

In one moment he says, "That's why your hopes and dreams can become a reality, because Jesus said I make all things new."

While these weren't the only words spoken, they are the only ones Tyler included other with the vows.

I'm not sure why these words penetrate my heart so much, but they do. Maybe it's because of their truth. I know for a fact I needed a new heart, a new start, a new soul in order to ever really consider what my hopes and dreams included, consisted of, tasted like, what color they were, what smell they had.

New.

We love new things. That's why we enjoy gifts, really let's admit it, because they haven't been known, used, or seen by us before. New toys work how they're supposed to and don't look old and shabby. The new gift is fresh, it's usable, it's admired, it's clean (or it's shabby chic and vintage and is supposed to look old and well-used). I love the term fresh because it reminds me of spring and flowers budding. It reminds me of lemon cleaner on the furniture and scrubbed sink.

Fresh, rejuvenated, reinvented. All of these things can be words to describe us as well. We can be new. As we're entering this new year, and everyone is creating their resolution, or as I like to call them, revolutions, we're keeping our minds on new things. Everything we want to accomplish, mostly losing weight, working out more, cleaning and organizing more, trying new things or getting rid of old things, has to do with something new and better. Rarely do we come up with resolutions that require us being "worse" people. We always want to be better, to be new, to be refreshed and more productive. We desire a new start to accomplish something we haven't done before or have failed in an attempt to complete.

I'm looking forward to 2013. We've got a lot of new things coming up in the next few months. But what I'm looking forward to this year is growth, learning, living, and loving those around me. I'm looking forward to my hopes and dreams becoming a reality because Jesus makes me new.



No comments:

Post a Comment