Thursday, December 6, 2012

Butch's Girl

A Man and His Dog - Photo by Tyler
This is my dad, Butch Turner. He's pretty much one of my favorite people in life. He's also one of the most interesting people I've ever met, but you would never know it from his demeanor.

He's quiet, doesn't offer extraneous information unless asked, and when he opens his mouth, either something really funny or profound comes out. He's kind of like Solomon (minus the 700 wives) because he expresses wisdom in much of what he says and does. He's exact, to the point, and slow to speak.

One of the things you should do if ever in a conversation with my dad is ask if he will tell you a story. He experienced some weird and random life occurrences. If I could, I would sit down with my father and ask him to tell me every interesting thing that's ever happened to him. I would write a book of his life, possibly entitled The Epic Life of a Middle-Class White-Boy Born in the Rural South during the 50's.  An interesting fact: My dad has had several experiences with lightning throughout his life. He may not be the best person to be around during a storm.

Of the few people in the world who can truly make me cry, the heartbreaking kind, my dad is at the top of the list. For most of my life, if he just fussed at me for something, even without losing his temper, I would immediately dissolve into a puddle of uncontrollable tears. I'd always thought it was because I was a cryer, but I'm not. I only cry a couple of times a year at the most. It's just my dad. I want his approval and hate disappointing him.

Another interesting fact: My father loves a baby. He may be quiet around adults and other people, but put a baby in his lap, and you will see a side of Butch Turner you've never seen. He will play games, sing songs, make faces, and laugh. He loves children and has been an amazing grandfather to E. Because we lived with my parents for almost six years, my dad and E have an amazing bond that makes my heart so joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment