Monday, May 13, 2013

Letter to My Daughter - Book Review


I'm part of this book club with some church ladies, but I've never been. I'm probably the slackest member of that group as in they may not even know I exist. I have, however, looked at the book list and read a few of the books. The last book of the season is Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou. I don't know what I expected, but it's a quick, impressive read. I told Tyler he should read it, though he's not a daughter, because it is so easy. The chapters are short and to the point, and an ADD reader could get through it zippy quick.

That isn't to say it doesn't have content though. Angelou's short chapters each come with a punch in them. If you aren't careful, you'll find yourself captivated and emotionally involved in the saga.

I love how Angelou combines philosophy, stories, poetry, and history into her book. Each chapter reminded me of a little antidote you may hear from an older, wiser individual. This would make sense considering Angelou's history growing up in Arkansas and then San Francisco in the 30's and 40's.

Letter to My Daughter encapsulates so many of the hard lessons Angelou has learned in a world of hate, crime, discrimination, and love. I loved it.

Favorite Quotes -

"The epitome of sophistication is utter simplicity."

"Since life is our most precious gift,/ And since it is given to use to live but once,/ Let us so live that we will not regret/ Years of uselessness and inertia."


No comments:

Post a Comment